Being a part of the choir means that you become part of the Göteborg Opera itself, and get the opportunity to create fantastic performing arts together with your friends. Sometimes you will sing in concerts just for your choir, or sometimes perform and work together with the Göteborg Opera's professional stage chorus, orchestra, soloists, dancers, conductors and directors.
We put a lot of emphasis on stage presence. We also enjoy being involved in the creative process with composers and librettists in creating new pieces.
The Children and Youth choirs are led by Ida Rosén Hamrå, Skapa's musical director.
The Göteborg Opera Children's and Youth Choirs aims are:
- that all members feel like they meaningfully participate both musically and in stage work.
- to be aware of both musical quality and stage presence whenever we perform.
- to introduce both the opera repertoire and other musical styles so that all members get a chance to get to know the potential breadth of the choral repertoire.
- to give children and young people the chance for both on-stage experience and to sing in a professional context.
- to work with democratic, societal work to engage and develop the members' capabilities and confidence. We want to encourage all of our choir members to use their voice for more than singing, and show that people can enact change by working together.
All choirs have one rehearsal per week. Beyond this we also conduct weekend rehearsals and extra rehearsals when getting closer to a performance date. It's intense, fun work with a lot of laughter! All of our choirs are mixed, with places for everyone of the relevant age. The choirs also have a Society for the Göteborg Opera Children and Youth Choirs, which is part of the country-wide organisation UngiKör. There are both parents and children on the Society board.
Would you like to join?
We think that it's both fun and educational to work with people who have difference experiences and backgrounds, and are always looking to broaden diversity in our choirs.
Auditions for the Children's Choir are held at the end of the spring term so that you can begin in the autumn term. Information about auditions will be posted on this part of the website in the spring of each year.
Please note that due to current pandemic restrictions we have no auditions planned for spring 2021, but watch this space in autumn 2021!